Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Predictable Network Interface Names - Stupid or good idea?
On 09.01.2016 12:41, Anto wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I have been indoctrinated myself that everything come from systemd gang
> are stupid and bad. After reading the above link and some other pages
> from systemd supporters, I think I might have to change my mind about
> that Predictable Network Interface Names idea. But I am not entirely
> sure yet. What do you guys think about that?

I think it might be a good thing under certain circumstances. In the
me-and-my-laptop scenario its bad (i think). A Laptop has one ethernet
device and one wireless. With the old naming scheme they are called eth0
and wlan0. If i change the wlan module, it keeps wlan0. If i change the
notebook, eth0 stay eth0 and wlan0 stays wlan0. Same in a many 9most)
Desktops. One might add a usb network device, but (at least in my
experience), that device is only used temporaly.

In the overwhelming majority of use cases i have personally experienced,
the old naming scheme guaranteed that everything worked fine, even if i
changed stuff. The new scheme is guaranteed to break if i change stuff.
The naming scheme is not even really predictable. Did i had this
specific card used already? If so, which number does it had? If not,
which is the next unused number?
And in the few cases where the new scheme could offer improvement i
always name the cards by hand anyway.

So, in conclusion: usually the new scheme makes it worse for me, except
in the cases where i override it anyway.

But other people love it :)