:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
Svante Signell <svante.signell@???> writes:
> On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 17:43 +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 04/01/2016 17:32, Svante Signell a écrit :
>
>> Just an idea: Would it be possible to detect the hardware of each computer
>> being installed on and after that install the needed modules? Preferably the
>> modules should not be located on /usr, currently they are under /lib.
>>
>>      I don't understand the repulsion towards having the modules in
>> /usr/lib. What difference does it make? None, unless you want the three
>> following conditions: no initramfs, /usr being a mountpoint, some
>> drivers and filesystems compiled in the kernel, but missing just the one
>> for /usr. You've got to work pretty hard to fulfill these conditions.
>
> Well, the important part of my question was: "Would it be possible to detect the
> hardware of each computer being installed on and after that install the needed
> modules?"

"Somewhat". The kernel will send uevents for everything it detects (or
invoke a modprobe/ hotplug program with this information). But 'the
hardware' is not static. Eg, I have an USB printer/scanner that's
usually turned off. I installed the OS on my current 'workstation' by
connecting the disk to the SATA bus of the old one, copying the system
over and the compiling a kernel I considered to be capable of booting
the new one. Alternatively, one could also just move a disk to a new
machine.