:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
Le 02/01/2016 15:05, Stephanie Daugherty a écrit :
> Might be worth trying to get interest upstream for functionality to
> "merge" binary modules with an already compiled kernel as a single
> file. Presumably, it wouldn't be *that* difficult for the kernel to
> look for modules at the end of its image and load them early.

     That's exactly what initrd/initramfs is for. It also allows much
more. In general, "providing more" is considered a good thing. The fact
that there are abuses of the initramfs to do things we don't like,
should not disconsider initramfs itself. I guess also that many things
done in the initramfs could be undone later.

     Didier