:: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initra…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Giving Devuan sans-initramfs capabilities
Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 19:06:38 +0800
> Brad Campbell <lists2009@???> wrote:
>
>> On 02/01/16 02:18, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> > Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:
>> >
>> > [...]
>>
>> > For a real deployment, this is usually just humbug and can be
>> > replaced with a kernel containing the drivers necessary for
>> > mounting a root filesystem.
>>
>> That's nice, until you want to do something like an encrypted root,
>> or encrypted swap with suspend/resume. That's pretty hard without an
>> initramfs.
>
> Why does everyone think I was advocating the banishment of initramfs?
> give the owner/admin a *choice* to go without initramfs.

You already have that choice, you just need to exercise it: Compile a
kernel which can mount 'your' root filesystem without the help of
additional userspace software, be it for loading modules or for
additional configuration, and use that: No initsomething needed.

In fact, that's exactly the configuration I've been using 'since ever'.