:: Re: [DNG] Windowmaker: was Proposal…
Author: richard lucassen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Windowmaker: was Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 14:47:35 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> I've been trying to understand Windowmaker since 1999, and have
> failed. That's why I didn't mention it in my list of great window
> managers: I figured no Devuaners would be using it.
>
> And yet I have respected friends who like it. And aesthetically it's
> very, very nice. And it's supposed to be modeled after NeXTstep, which
> is *highly* respected by many people whom I respect.
>
> I've tried about 5 times, over 1.5 decades, to get Windowmaker
> functional. By "functional", I mean a state at which I could be
> productive. And failed all 5 times.
>
> If you ever create a presentation about Windowmaker, or make a
> Windowmaker document, please get me in the loop. I'll tell you all the
> rabbit holes I've fallen down, and to the extent possible, I'll tech
> edit your presentation or document os John Q. Public can easily create
> a productive Windowmaker interface.

Well Steve, the answer is quite simple IMHO: WindowMaker wasn't made for
you, you have different needs so you choose another windowmanager. I
have never stumbled upon something that made me look for another
windowmanager. Well, I have played with xfce (and I lost all the icons
on the desktop twice) and I tried LXDE, but these wm's were missing
some particular WindowMaker features and thus I switched back to
WindowMaker.

Don't forget: one gets used to a particular windowmanager. And every
habit is fighting for its life ;-)

But I just think that WindowMaker deserves to be present in a
non-systemd distro. Not as a default wm, but as one of the options.

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |