:: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-des…
Author: Go Linux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On Mon, 12/28/15, Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

To: dng@???
Date: Monday, December 28, 2015, 2:04 PM

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 14:49:04 -0500

Mitt Green <mitt_green@???> wrote:

> golinux wrote:
>
> >I specifically asked what should be REMOVED from the default xfce
> >desktop
>
> Nothing. Xfce even lack necessary components like pdf viewer and a
> file archiver (xarchiver is not their project right? They had squeeze
> back then but it's no longer maintained now).

This is something I never understood. Why expect your window
manager/desktop environment to give you functionalities? Why not
install them a-la-carte to get the exact system you want?

As a matter of fact, putting functionalities in the wm/de makes it more
likely they'll get entangled with irrelevant stuff like dbus,
PulseAudio, and systemd. I mean, if your wm/de already uses this stuff,
why not incorporate it in your functionality in some silly way, perhaps
to gain a feature nobody even wanted.

I'm a fan of a-la-carte myself.

SteveT

Me too! A few years ago, I built up a minimal Debian wheezy xfce desktop. Then I discovered fsmithred's Refracta which seemed to have read my mind about what apps to include. The bloat of the alpha2 install was a bit of a shock after being so spoiled by Refracta's minimalism! I was hoping to just do a upgrade from alpha2to the beta but I think I'm going to have to reinstall to get rid of some of the cruft that was pulled in by a full-out xfce install.

golinux