:: Re: [DNG] I've got the automounter …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I've got the automounter running
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 11:20:33 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 05:17:01PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:

> > >Indeed

> > >But there is a slight issue in that if the user has yanked the
> > >drive, there isn't much you can do about it. Short of having
> > >precognition so you know in advance, or modifying all hardware to
> > >support locking the drive in, once the drive is disconnected then
> > >you have no options - other than to tell the user off.
> >
> > For this reason, the automounter package should provide a command
> > for the user to "safely remove the devices". Not providing it would
> > suggest the user that removing the device right away is harmless and
> > is the normal way.
>
> And the command to safely remove the devices should be easily
> discoverable. Once we re using automount, we are talking about tools
> that can be used by idiots.

Yeah, I can do all this in a future (but not too distant) version, with
use of a second program. Perhaps instead of running it out of runit or
inittab's respawn or /etc/rc.local, it should be run out of the
"client" program.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist