:: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-des…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Proposals for an xfce-desktop-lite
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 10:42:15 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> Are there other window
> managers we could use in the name of minimalism?

There are approximately one million, three hundred and thirty two
thousand, one hundred and ninety eight excellent window managers you
can use in the name of minimalism.

You know how all email clients suck? Well, almost all window managers
are great. Go figure.

For the guy who wants a classic win98 interface (I love these), there's
LXDE. Rock solid, has all the right stuff and no more: It's wonderful.

If you want to go seriously lightweight, jwm is a win98-like interface
that's light as a feather.

Right down there between LXDE and jwm is fvwm, whose setup requires
quite a learning curve, but you can make your fvwm setup work any way
you want.

Perhaps you want maximum real estate, with no panel (Windows taskbar).
twm, fluxbox, blackbox, and my favorite, Openbox, fill that need to a
Tee. Added status points, because when someone sees you using one of
these, they *know* you're on a level above Windows and OS/x. Combine it
with dmenu (described later).

All the preceding are floating window managers. There are zillions of
excellent tiling window managers too. I like dwm from Suckless Tools.
My friend Chris gave a presentation on i9 where he lighting quick
rearranged things at the keyboard, always having enough room on the
current app to do his work. There's awesome, supposedly written in Lua
so you can configure it and give it new capabilities by writing a
little Lua code.

Keep in mind that whoever is willing to roll up their sleeves and
configure can install and integrate dmenu from Suckless Tools on most
of these window managers, and once dmenu is configured to your hands'
liking, you'll double or triple your window manager productivity.

There's absolutely no end to excellent lightweight window managers. Now
if you're asking which should be the Devuan default, I'd say LXDE,
because anybody can walk right up to an LXDE interface and start using
it. It's like a one-panel Xfce with a few less features.

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist