:: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter beh…
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: Steve Litt, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Preferred automounter behavior?
On 27/12/15 05:45, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 06:40:12 +0100
> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> wrote:
>
>> Actually, the difference _does_ matter. Paths under /mnt are made by
>> the sysadmin and thus are secure, paths under /media are created
>> based on untrusted input.
>>
>> These two need at least _some_ namespace disambiguation, and /mnt
>> vs /media serves that purpose.
>
> I agree with Adam's point enough to change to /media right now unless
> someone else sees a reason not to. Thanks Adam, I never even thought of
> the huge distinction you mention, and it would have sucked if I
> used /mnt for this purpose.

I concur with this also.

Additionally it would be good to mount the device under
/media/<volume-label> as is typical for the udev style auto mounter and
add symlinks to /media/sdX[n] and also possibly /media/<disk-by-id>

where:
    <volume-label> is the label the filesystem header - of it it is missing
the UUID, and if that is not set then a short path name such as the usb
port id

    <sdX[n]> is the transient device id as per /dev/sdX[n]

    <disk-by-id> is the fully exposed path to the device as per /dev/disk/by-id

thanks,
    Daniel.
--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.