:: Re: [DNG] Devuan's goal: was Our fr…
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan's goal: was Our friendly community
On 21/12/15 13:40, John Hughes wrote:
> On 21/12/15 12:41, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> No, you don't. You do have to have systemd installed, [ see below
>>> for why ], but systemd does not have to be pid 1.
>>
>> OK, systemd doesn't have to be pid1, but by your admission, you still
>> have to have it installed *even* if you don't want to, this is *not*
>> choice!
>
> Having a few files and directories on your disk is a major problem?
> systemd is not running if you're using systemd-shim, it just needs the
> systemd directories (that's why systemd-shim depends on systemd -- I
> suppose it would be possible to break the systemd package up into
> "systemd-config" and "systemd-binaries", but what would be the point?)

>>> No it hasn't. The source code for udev is in the same tree as
>>> systemd, and they share some library functions, but udev still works
>>> without systemd.
>>
>> Can you explain how? if you try to download the source package for
>> udev, you will get the systemd source package.
>
> So? Who the hell cares? Just build udev, there is source for some
> other things in the tree, ignore 'em. When udev is running it does
> not need systemd.

>>> Assumes facts not in evidence.
>>
>> Only because you seem to be ignoring the evidence, try setting up a
>> debian jessie system with a gui. Now open a terminal as root and run
>> 'apt-get purge systemd* -y'
>
> Why would you do that? You've just broken your system.

Exactly you moron.

> Surely you care about what software is running, not what the package
> names or filenames are.
>
> If you want to run an init system other than systemd the way to do it is:
>
> Install your new init system, install systemd-shim, remove
> systemd-sysv. Your fathers brother is called Robert.

Wrong on two counts there, run devuan, you don't need systemd at all and
my fathers brother was called Walter, Robert was my father :-)

I think you will find that most of the people here, do not want any part
of systemd on their computers, me included, hence the use of Devuan
instead of debian.

Now I have said this before but you seem to be hard of hearing, so *GO
AWAY, YOU ARE PREACHING TO THE CONVERTED HERE!*

Rowland