:: Re: [DNG] Devuan's goal: was Our fr…
Author: Rowland Penny
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan's goal: was Our friendly community
On 21/12/15 10:03, John Hughes wrote:
> On 20/12/15 19:01, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> John Hughes <john@???> writes:

>>> We're going round in circles. *I* posted that command:
>>>
>>> https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20151218.143549.77d859b4.en.html
>>>
>>> But you still haven't said *why* you want to remove libsystemd0.
>> This is entirely the wrong question. There's presently no 'libsystemd0'
>> on my system. Why should it be added?
>
> Joke answer, to let you run systemd?
>
> What I'm looking for is choice -- I want people who want systemd to be
> able to run it, and people who dont want it to be able to use
> sysvinit, openrc or upstart or whatever. At the moment things are all
> fucked up because there is no long term alternative to the seat
> management part of systemd and few people seem prepared to work on it.

This is what people have been trying to get through to you, if you run
debain jessie, you 'HAVE' to use systemd whether you want to or not.
Systemd seems to insist on controlling everything and will not tolerate
any other init system, if you don't want to use systemd but do want to
to use gnome3, well tough, you cannot. Can you answer why a desktop
relies on an init system, because I cannot. I can understand why parts
of the desktop rely on something like udev, but this has now been
subsumed by systemd. If systemd had just been a replacement for sysv or
upstart etc, then there would not have been all the row about it, those
that wanted to use it could have and those that didn't, didn't have to,
but no, because of the way it is taking over the established way of
doing things, you are denied the free choice of what init system to use!
It is LPs way or no way, and the number of things he has broken and
refused to fix, well it is just arrogance on his part.

Rowland