:: Re: [DNG] netman: Please, do NOT us…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] netman: Please, do NOT use 17-Dec-2015 commit/merge
On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 08:52:02PM +0000, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> writes:
> > I have just 'accidentally' damaged netman's git sources. Please, do
> > NOT use the 17th December 2015 commits until I resolve the problem. I
> > am trying to integrate Rainer's debian/rules patch but I am failing.
> >
> > If someone can delete completely, that is, delete without a trace
> > today's (17th December 2015) commit/merge, please do so.
>
> You can use
>
> git revert <commit id>
>
> to revert indiviual commits or

You can then "git rebase -i $base_commit" to squash the reverts into a
single commit if you're making a large rollback.

> git reset --hard <commit id>
>
> to reset the state of the tree to what it was after the named commit.

This, and other history rewrites, are a very bad idea for anything that has
been pushed into a public repository. Please use reverts to undo, as
otherwise every single person who pulls from your repository will have to
"git reset --hard" by hand. There are other ways to make such a rewrite
fast-forwardeable, but that's advanced git usage.

--
A tit a day keeps the vet away.