:: Re: [DNG] Which email client can I …
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Which email client can I use to properly quote emails?
On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 04:32:10PM +0100, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 14:16:07 +0000
> Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:
>
> > Just make sure that you either keep backups of the local copy, or
> > make sure the sync process won't delete stuff from the local copy.
> > Otherwise, if the provider (or you, or you mail client) "gets it
> > wrong" and your mail disappears from the server, then it'll also
> > disappear from your locally synced copy as well.
>

> Good advice :-) For mbsync the option "Sync Pull New" will restrict
> syncing to downloading messages not yet seen by mbsync. Depending on
> your IMAP folder structure and filtering strategy, the option "Create
> Slave" can be useful as well.

I always cringe at systems providing a 'sync' option without further details.
I always make a backup before such a sync just n cse, and survey the
damage later.

To be safe, sync has to have a specified direction, has to have options
not to delete or overwrite withoug further guidance form the user, or
else to be done in contexts, such as revision control, where there is
enough history to determine what changed and adapt accordingly.

Distributed revision control, of course, is a backup strategy as well.

-- hendrik