:: Re: [DNG] Which email client can I …
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Which email client can I use to properly quote emails?
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> You might wonder why I'm so partial to IMAP: A fair question indeed.

I think a fairer question would be why anyone would be against it !
OK, there's one reason - and that's if you are not running you own mail server in which case you are reliant on your provider not losing your mail for you (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/03/plusnet_loses_deleted_emails/)

Other than that, why would anyone not be in favour of a system where you can have one single mail store, in an open format (if you have your own server) so you can't be locked into one server software, accessed by open protocols so you can use any client (as long as it supports IMAP), and you can use any mix of clients you want and have one unified view of your email ? I've been down the route of importing emails from $old_client into $new_client before - and it wasn't pretty in the end.

Personally I'd love to find a properly working replacement for Eudora - I just hate this "everything in one window" approach everything seems to use these days.