:: Re: [DNG] I never realised udev was…
Author: John Morris
To: Dave Turner
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I never realised udev was that bad until now
On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 19:22 +0000, Dave Turner wrote:

> Now I am trying my hand at Android development I find udev to be truly
> vile. What idiot decided that you have to list your device in the
> /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules file before you can connect to it?
> The file is already 13.7kB, bound to get larger with time, and I had to
> use dmesg to find the vendor id for the cheap tablet I am using and add
> it in!

Not much to be done for it, just a consequence of how Android and USB
work. This is why on Window you always need a special USB driver for
the specific device, that is how it gets the USB ID info for your
device. On Linux there is just a big file of known USB identifiers for
things like adb since we just assume the vendors are not going to help
with Linux support.

Lots of good reasons to hate on udev, this isn't one. The fact
the .rules files it uses almost have to be intentionally designed to
resist human reading and editing is a good reason. :)