:: Re: [DNG] Systemd-free network-mana…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Systemd-free network-manager package
Le 14/11/2015 21:20, Brian Nash a écrit :
> I never did figure out (or remember) how to use wpa_supplicant, although
> IIRC connecting to a wifi network is just two commands.

     1) Follow this howto:
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-wifi-roaming-with-wpa-supplicant/
     2) change the config file to set the gid of the control interface
and make yourself a member of this group,
     3) then install wpa_gui

     This is a modular set up which involves the traditional ifupdown
mechanism, and in which wpa_supplicant is running in daemon mode and
wpa_gui is a graphical config helper for it. If you also want some
roaming for Ethernet, then you also need ifplugd. wpa_gui is provided
upstream together with wpa_supplicant, but some people dislike it
because it is based on Qt.

     If you prefer to completely bypass ifupdown and
/etc/network/interfaces, and integrate all in one app, then I understood
netman is doing what you want; AFAIU, netman is the daemon and it
invokes wpa_supplicant in non-daemon mode.

     I don't know where wicd is in this plot.

     Didier