:: [DNG] Systemd-free network-manager …
Author: 4ernov
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Systemd-free network-manager package
Hello,

I decided to try to switch to Devuan Jessie with KDE4 installed using
dev1fanboy instructions. As I know, KDE4 isn't either tested or
supported in Devuan right now, but it's interesting for me to try and
probably fix something.

I should say the whole process went just fine and I can use it on my
netbook successfully, except the only issue with network-manager,
which doesn't allow me to connect to Wi-Fi when started on system
startup.

I tried getting to know, what's the problem is, and found that my
network-manager package still depends on systemd. I also found a page
with efforts to untie them here:
https://git.devuan.org/packages-base/network-manager. Trying to build
it manually failed as I have 'newer' D-Bus package and can't reinstall
it from Devuan repository. So, my two questions are:

1. Is network-manager package built from the link above available in
some Devuan repo? I've checked 'merged' and 'devuan' repos, but with
no success (there's Debian systemd-dependent version exists in
'merged' repo and no version in 'devuan').

2. Can I somehow gently reinstall D-Bus (libdbus-1-3) from version of
Debian 8.2.0 (it's 1.8.20-0+deb8u1) to Devuan one (1.8.18-0+devuan1)
without removing it and all its dependencies? It's important question
for me as I guess this kind of things wouldn't be too unusual
meanwhile.

And I'd like to take a chance to say big thanks to all the developers
for this efforts and wish Devuan project all the best. Thank you very
much!

Alexey Chernov