:: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treati…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Detailed technical treatise of systemd
Le 10/11/2015 18:01, Rainer Weikusat a écrit :
> Didier Kryn <kryn@???> writes:
>> Le 10/11/2015 01:01, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> [...]
>
>>> I used chrony as my NTP client.  If the discrepancy between local time
>>> on the machine and the correct time, it just gave up.  I/m not sure at
>>> what discrepancy this happened, but it helped a lot to explicitly set
>>> the time by my watch.  Once the time was properly synced, though,
>>> chrony worked well to keep it correct.
>>      I use the package simply named "ntp" in Debian repo.
> [...]

>>      This ntp client doesn't give up.
> That's not really true: The ntpd from the NTP reference implementation
> will raise a so-called 'clock panic' if the system time is off by more
> than the panic threshold (compile-time configurable as it seems) of
> 1000s. If the daemon was started with -g (Debian default), it will
> ignore the first panic and change the clock nevertheless. A subsequent
> one will cause it to exit.

     Thanks for looking; it might be usefull to know. Maybe chrony just
uses the same threshold. I was just lucky it never happened to me.

     If you install the system with the Debian (or Devuan) installer,
the installer sets date and time and there's little chance it drifts by
16mn before you install ntp. But it may happen that you install the
system with debootstrap and forget to set up date and time before
starting ntp. Anyway it'll work as soon as you have adjusted the clock
and rebooted.

     We have drifted a lot from the initial subject of the thread :-)

     Didier