:: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to upra…
Author: Sam
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to uprading to Devuan and configuring minimalism
On 07/11/15 15:23, Go Linux wrote:

> On Fri, 11/6/15, Sam <dng@???> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to uprading to Devuan and configuring minimalism
> To: dng@???
> Date: Friday, November 6, 2015, 11:17 PM
>
> [snip]
>
>> But reinstating those was in principle easy owing to the brilliant SGFXI script,
>
> [snip]
>
> Congrats!
>
> Yes, SGFXI is amazing! I used it frequently before I moved to on-board graphics on this newer board.
>
> golinux

Thank you!

> Yes, SGFXI is amazing! I used it frequently before I moved to
> on-board graphics on this newer board.

Indeed. I've used it a handful of times over the years (since about
2006, when it was provided simply as smxi) for both NVidia and ATI/AMD
graphics subsystems, and compared to the alternative manual approach
which involved all kinds of jiggery-pokery as well as the sacrifice of
small animals and other votive offerings to the gods for the miracle of
transubstantiation, SGFXI is a peach.

But we digress, by just a little perhaps. I'd like to reiterate how
clear and concise dev1fanboy's instructions are, and that so far it
appears it is indeed possible to convert from Debian Stretch/Sid to Devuan.

What has been conspicuous by its absence I suppose is the detail about
my original system. For instance, I've made no mention of the fact that
the original (and present) system does not make use of any of the GNOME,
KDE, XFCE, nor LXDE classes of desktop environment. I've always only
used either OpenBox or FluxBox with XDM as the display manager, or no
desktop environment and display manager at all. Besides these, I've
never been able to endure anything else for very long at all before
reverting back to the venerable terminal.

If more information, or if the detailed step-by-step log of my approach
is needed (it would be somewhat redundant however as I followed
dev1fanboys's recipe fairly closely and simply peppered the directives
with my own diagnostic probings here or there), I mention this as a
caveat for anyone else considering a reckless approach such as mine. So,
as it was from the outset, YMMV.

Sam