:: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to upra…
Top Pagina
Auteur: KatolaZ
Aan: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Quick start guide to uprading to Devuan and configuring minimalism
On Wed, Nov 04, 2015 at 12:21:27PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 04/11/2015 09:08, KatolaZ a écrit :
> >Thank you very much. Very nice guide, but please: do not urge people
> >to reboot, ever. There is simply no need at all to reboot, and in the
> >ovewhelming majority of use cases it is not necessary at all to use
> >the latest kernel available, unless using "the kernel shipped with
> >Devuan" is the only way for you to get a crappy device finally
> >work. But if your crappy devices are already working, just avoid
> >rebooting, unless you need to power the system down for some other
> >reason.
>
>     Rebooting several times during an upgrade is the Windows
> fashion, and it's satisfactory that you don't need it when upgrading
> a Linux system.

>     But it happened to me some times in the past that my Debian box
> didn't restart properly after even a simple apt-get upgrade, not to
> talk of a dist-upgrade. Therefore I can understand that one is eager
> to immediately check that it works.

Yes Didier, I acknowledge that I was a bit too harsh, and indeed a
reboot is sometimes needed upon some specific updates. I just wanted
to warn ourselves about the later confusion between "sometimes needed
upon some specific updates" and "compulsory whenever you have used
aptitude to install a package or launched an apt-get upgrade" :)

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]