:: Re: [DNG] Systemd-free distros Was …
Author: Mitt Green
To: Edward Bartolo
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Systemd-free distros Was Re: Distrowatch
Graphical doesn't always mean "user-friendly" or "for clueless people". We can
simply look at Unity and GNOME3 where you can barely find stuff on your
computer and some software that works better and simpler in terminal
(compare that Ubuntu software centre and APT‎, dd and Unetbootin, I believe
we can name much more examples here), sometimes we really need to see
what's going on and console is the only way (and easiest so far) like that
eyecandy crap like Plymouth which doesn't let me see my boot messages.

The purpose is decluttering and not removing interfaces that sometimes are
really cool (as with Gparted or Grub-customiser). But they also have a choice
to be X-less; Devuan offers greater freedom than Debian and goes the way
Debian was, let's say, prior to Wheezy.

By the way, Ubuntu haven't been solving problems over the years, Unity remains
buggy and unusable, their other technologies (Upstart, Snappy or whatever the
name is, Ubuntu Touch) are in nowhere (or maybe I'm wrong?).
But Canonical is a different  topic.

Cheers and have good day if you are not already having it,

                              Mitt