:: Re: [DNG] Distrowatch
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Systemd-free distros Was Re: Distrowatch
Subject: Re: [DNG] Distrowatch
On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 21:57:23 +0800
Robert Storey <robert.storey@???> wrote:

> > From: Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@???>
> >
> > Unfortunately it only allows you to search by package, leaving you
> > with a lot of non-linux and inactive distros - and no ranking.
> > But it's a nice feature.
>
> Yes, but biggest problem is that it misses some good non-systemd
> distros like Gentoo and Manjaro-OpenRC because those do include the
> systemd packages but it's use is optional.

Big difference between the preceding two. As far as I know, Gentoo has
shown no reluctance to *eventually* switching to systemd. By its very
existence, Manjaro-OpenRC has. Here are the distros I've heard of that
have taken an absolute stand not to *ever* default to systemd:

* Devuan
* Funtoo
* Void Linux
* And by context, Manjaro-OpenRC

Even FreeBSD has had some systemd contemplation. Slackware has been
wishy-washy on the subject, from what I hear.

When considering one's next distro, some thought must be given to the
fact that just because a distro doesn't *currently* use systemd doesn't
mean that they won't switch.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive