:: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now a permiss…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Printing -- now a permissions problem
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 05:28:04PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 19/10/2015 16:38, Thaddeus Nielsen a écrit :
> >On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:05:37 +0200
> >Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> >>      Hi Hendrik.

> >>      I can see one reason for root to be unable to get the permission:
> >>lpr being owned by another user than root and being suid; this is fine
> >>at the condidiont that this owner is 'daemon', given the owner and
> >>permissions of /var/spool/lpd.

> >>      Didier

> >Another thing to examine: lp is the group on the directory but that directory had no write permission for the group, if I recall correctly.
> >
> >    RPTN

>     Since group has no permission and owner has all, only the owner
> should matter. But the group s bit, AFAIR is something which
> disallows overwriting a file owned by someone else. Maybe try to
> make daemon the owner of /usr/bin/lpr, just to see what happens

>     Didier

Did that. It didn't help. I even did the lpr command as root. Might
root be excluded from printing for some reason? Might it try
writing to the directory as the user that invoked the lpr command
instead of as the suid'd user? Might I have to add
users, one by one, to group lp?

I added blank lines for readability:

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# ls -l /usr/bin/lpr
-rwsr-sr-x 1 root lp 26536 Nov 20 2014 /usr/bin/lpr

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# chown daemon /usr/bin/lpr

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# ls -l /usr/bin/lpr
-rwxr-xr-x 1 daemon lp 26536 Nov 20 2014 /usr/bin/lpr

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# /usr/bin/lpr -h -PHL3170CDW Documents/math/Librationism=1407.3877v3.ps
lpr: cannot open /var/spool/lpd/hl3170cdw/.seq: Permission denied

root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# ls -ald /var/spool/lpd/hl3170cdw
drwx------ 2 daemon lp 4096 Oct 5 14:40 /var/spool/lpd/hl3170cdw

oot@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# ls -al /var/spool/lpd/hl3170cdw
total 8
drwx------ 2 daemon lp   4096 Oct  5 14:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root   root 4096 Oct 19 09:02 ..
-rw------- 1 daemon lp      0 Oct  5 14:32 acct
-rw------- 1 daemon lp      0 Oct  5 14:32 log
-rw------- 1 daemon lp      0 Oct  5 14:32 status
-rw------- 1 daemon lp      0 Oct  5 14:32 status.pr