:: Re: [DNG] Printing
Author: Riccardo Boninsegna
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Printing
On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> Obtaining a driver from Brother's support site as a .deb file, I tried to install it with dpkg:
>
> root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik/Download/BrotherPrinterDriver# dpkg -i hl3170cdwlpr-1.1.2-1.i386.deb

As the name says, that's an LPR driver.

Brother does not make actual drivers for CUPS, only ones for LPR plus
a hack to make LPR drivers work in CUPS!

1: If you're using an i386 system, you're good to go; if you're using
amd64, enable 32 bit compatibility with (as superuser) `dpkg
--add-architecture i386 && aptitude update && aptitude install
libstdc++6:i386`; if you're using any other architecture, give up!
2: Download both drivers from
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl3170cdw_all&os=128
3: Install "cups-daemon" (the actual print server) and "cups-bsd"
(backwards compatibility with LPR command line tools)
4: Make sure your printer is connected and ready, install the LPR driver
5: Install the CUPS driver
6: If all went fine, you should have the printer already configured
(you may want to visit localhost:631 with a browser to set paper size,
etc)!