:: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-ba…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
Le 25/09/2015 11:27, KatolaZ a écrit :
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:06:50AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 24/09/2015 19:54, KatolaZ a écrit :
>>> But let's be honest here: how many times does it happen that you have
>>> to reboot a production server nowadays? It is quite rare that a
>>> failing program actually needs a reboot, right? And even when it
>>> happens, 1 minute or 5 minutes boot won't change your overall uptime
>>> percentage that much. If you are at 99.999% with a 1 minute boot
>>> (which corresponds to one reboot every 2 months and a half, already
>>> ways too much for the vast majority of production servers) with an
>>> exagerated 5 minutes boot you will move to 99.995%.
>>      Dear Katolaz,

>>      I'm sory but you only think "server". I think this
>> dpendency-base startup and supervision is primarily dedicated to
>> laptops, although there must be other cases needing ultra-fast
>> boots. Linux is not dedicated only to big server farms.

> Dear Didier,
>
> I actually had the impression that servers was what Laurent was
> referring to... :)
>
> Anyway, it doesn't matter. Your clarification confirms my doubts: this
> quest for "speed" could make sense mainly for mobile devices (I
> personally reboot my laptop every 3/4 months, on average, and only
> because I forget to plug the AC adapter overnight, so I still can't
> see the issue for laptops), and I could agree on that, but please do
> not bring servers and high availability scenario to support "smart"
> dependency-based boots, since, as strange as it might sound, high
> availability has nothing to do with boot speed, at all.

     As far as I understand s6 is for supervision only, while s6-rc
provides both fast startup and supervision. Supervision is a usefull
feature for servers, but I fully agree that startup speed is not.

     But, as you or Jaromil said, and we all agree on this, the
important thing is that Devuan provide this new high quality software,
so that admins have more freedom. Important also is the fact that fast
and dependency-based startup and supervision is the major sales argument
for Systemd, and s6-rc does it better and in a simpler way, and does
only that.

     BTW I don't trust enough suspend mode to use it all the time. On
some of the servers I am running, uptime often exceed a year, but I like
shuting down my laptop when I don't use it. Good to know that suspend
works so well for you :-)

     Didier