:: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-b…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Jaromil
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [announce] s6-rc, a s6-based service manager for Unix systems
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 09:28:28PM +0200, Jaromil wrote:

[cut]

> > But let's be honest here: how many times does it happen that you have
> > to reboot a production server nowadays?
>
> I think you are overlooking the vastity of use-cases here and I agree
> with Laurent for a 5 minutes down you can have users raging at the door.
>
> for instance I can well imagine we may end up using s6-rc for
> http://dowse.equipment which isn't a server, but a home network
> appliance that filters a lot of traffic (adblocking and such), caches
> and tunnels DNS queries etc.

I sincerely appreciate the work made by Laurent. Just please try to
avoid falling in the same "everybody needs to boot-up in 12 seconds
because high availability requires so" rhetoric championed by
systemd-fanboys. That would do no good at all to s6-rc, and would not
help acquiring new use bases, IMHO.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]