:: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” c…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” command replacement merged into systemd on Fedora Rawhide
On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 16:47:18 +0100
Dave Turner <dave_t_turner@???> wrote:

> I always thought su was the wrong way to go about things.
> Give me sudo every time.

How much stuff do you want to put in sudoers? You really want to do
what Ubuntu does?

> (there are assorted long discussions about su vs sudo out there on
> the interweb, let's not repeat them here!)

> Just be glad we still have a choice!

That's really the crux of it, isn't it. Whether we have a choice.
Whether we have the right to say "hey, with my use case, I want to use
sudo!" The systemd cabal is trying to take that away.

Using my desktop, today I ran a program in lxterminal, and it failed
for lack of root. No problem, I ran it with sudo, and that failed
because the program wasn't in sudoers. No problem, I did su -c "program
name with arguments" and bang, it got done. I sure like that ability,
and I'd sure miss it when it's gone. I use it every day.

Sometimes I need a root xterm. Now my mama didn't raise no fool, I run
X as slitt, not as root. So when I need a root xterm, I run xterm, then
run su -. No problem. For now. But Red Hat's working to make it a
problem.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust