:: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” c…
Author: Nate Bargmann
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] The show goes on: “su” command replacement merged into systemd on Fedora Rawhide
* On 2015 29 Aug 10:15 -0500, poitr pogo wrote:
> So let them build desktop oriented linux, and let us focus on the
> server oriented version.

I'll add my voice to the chorus objecting to the idea that removal of
systemd is for servers only. My first use of Linux (Slackware
specifically) was as a desktop system 19 years ago. I have some
Raspberry Pi computers doing some dedicated tasks (not certain if they
are "servers" but they are headless).

Right now with Debian Jessie systemd must be installed to make the
desktop anywhere near functional, but that is a result of packaging
decisions by Debian and not any intrinsic need for systemd on a desktop
system at this time. I am looking forward to being able to install
pulseaudio and lightdm without a dependency on systemd. I had to
install all of them last night to get all of my amateur radio software
to play together again. systemd brought in 53 MB of cruft (after
installation) I didn't exactly need.

- Nate