:: [DNG] replacing kernel 3.16.0-4
Author: Haines Brown
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] replacing kernel 3.16.0-4
I've already tried your patience with a query about why xrandr tells me
my display uses VGA 1024x768 when it shows my video card supports DVI
1920x1080. I hope you will bear with me if I pursue the matter.

I am told that because selection of optimal resolution is today done by
the kernel, my 3.16.0-4 kernel therefore has a bug. I find significant
that kernel.org skips this kernel for possible downloading. Is anyone
else experiencing this problem?

I'm loading fluxbox on devuan-jessie without a desktop environment. When
I edit the linux line in the GRUB menu by appending video=VGA-1:d, the
display comes up with the proper DVI 1920x1080 resolution. Does this not
show that the kernel is sick?

So I'd like to use a different kernel, but there are no alternatives in
the devuan repository. How then should I install an alternative kernel?

Some time ago I tried to install devuan testing and it failed right away
for reasons I forget. Is the testing installation option actually
working?

Haines Brown