:: Re: [DNG] netman GIT project
Author: Edward Bartolo
To: Rainer Weikusat, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] netman GIT project
Quote: Rainer Wrote:
<<A C string of length 0 is just a "\000". A NULL pointer is not a string.

A unallocated variable, be it anything from a simple basic variable
like an int*, to the most complex of struct variables, is simply a
placeholder for a memory address, or a pointer devoid of space, apart
from the space for a memory address.

Pointers can be any type of data. I used to put their flexibility in
my Delphi Pascal projects. I also used null pointers as follows:

type
TRecordTypeID = (message0, message1, message2, message3);

var
aDynamicRecord: Pointer;

type
   TDynamicRecord = record
      RecordTypeID: integer;
      ActualRecord: Pointer;
   end;

This is equivalent to:

enum TRecordTypeID = {message0, message1, message2, message3};

void* aDynamicRecord;

typedef struct TDynamicRecord {
TRecordTypeID RecordTypeID;
void* ActualRecord;
};

Lazarus and Delphi provide a class, TList, which is a list of untyped
pointers. This is like: C++'s
vector <void*> my_little_vector_that_can_hold_anything;

OR, if my memory serves me right, C's:
void** weirdo_var;

Therefore, to push variables onto the list, it requires type casting,
which is fully supported, and dynamic allocation functions to allocate
and FREE memory.