:: [DNG] shutdown is there for one use…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] shutdown is there for one user, not for another
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 09:32:11AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:26:16AM +0200, adamdm wrote:
> > I can't shutdown Devuan from xfce, the button is just disabled...
> > Am I missing something?
>
> When I first installed devuan from alpha2, just a bit over a week ago,
> the shutdown button was there, and worked. Actually, there was a word
> at the right end of the top panel that produced a menu offering
> everything from logout to shurtdown.
>
> Then I copied /home/hendrik from my old Debian jessie installation,
> put my login information from Debian into /etc/passwd and
> /etc/shadow.
>
> Now that word is wntirely missing, together with the its menu. Though I
> do have a logout icon in the top panel.
>
> I now have a logout button
>
> This suggests to me that it might have something to so with the
> user's xcfe configuration.
>
> I should test that by logging into the guest account, which was *not*
> copied from Debian and seeing it the menu is back.

Tried that. From the guest user created at installation time I Have a
lock screen/suspend/shutdown/logout menu on the right end of the top
icon panel. Only the 'switch user' item is greyed out.

>From my own account, which was copied from Debian Jessie, I have

only a logout icon.

So it looks as if the matter may depend on the user's xcfe
configuration.
Perhaps we should be looking at the dotfiles.

-- hendrik