:: [DNG] Problem Installing Webmin
Author: Craig Ferguson
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: [DNG] Problem Installing Webmin
This is the first time that I have ever used a mailing list.  I hope this works.

I am unable to get the webmin_1.760_all.deb to install.

There is nothing noted in the syslog or messages log files, and nothing in the webmin log file (since it does not install).  I have tried using both the wget method and the repository method as noted on this page:  http://www.webmin.com/deb.html .  I have tried on a new A2 install with webmin being the first attempted install.  The only notation that I get is in the /var/log/dpkg.log file:
2015-08-18 09:45:59 status half-configured webmin:all 1.760
2015-08-18 09:58:43 status installed webmin:all 1.760

In both installation instances, the output on the terminal hangs immediately after Setting up webmin:
Unpacking webmin (1.760)...
Setting up webmin (1.760)...

At this point, I have let the system run for 12 minutes and nothing happens.  Finally, when I press <Enter>, I get a continued output saying
grep: /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf  No such file or directory
Webmin install complete.  You may now login to it at https://hostname:/
as root with your root password, or as any user who can use sudo
to run commands as root.

But, webmin is not there.  The /etc/webmin area is blank, except for the uninstall.sh script.  So the webmin installer does create the /etc/webmin folder and writes a file to it.

With no help from the logs, I don't know which direction to take to find the problem/solution.  I am only testing the A2 installer to build an A2 (devuan) server similar to a wheezy server that I have.  So this is not that important now, but if it is a bug, it might influence something else.

What I looked at:
- The folders that are created with the webmin installer have the same permissions of the wheezy installation.
- Wheezy and Devuan both have the same "bin" group that webmin uses to create and populate folders in /etc/webmin.
- I also tried searching the web (devuan + webmin) and this Mailing List with no helpful hits on "webmin".  So I am mentioning it here.
- I tried installing in Devuan 64-bit on a physical install and a virtualbox install.  I was always able to replicate this behavior, so I suspect it is a bug.  I have not tried this in a 32bit install.

Ideas anyone?