:: Re: [DNG] Devuan and upstream
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan and upstream
Go Linux <golinux@???> wrote:

> I once investigated helping a friend use some open source software on her Mac. A program that was free (gratis) in the Linux community was available in the Apple app store for $30! That really pissed me off and soured me even more on Apple than before (if that was possible).

If ti was GPL then it would have been available free of charge if you looked in the right place. Contrary to some opinions, Apple do behave themselves in this respect.

Did you try Fink or Macports ?
http://www.finkproject.org
https://www.macports.org

I've come across other cases where "free" software has been available in a store for real money. In my case I have a couple of packages on my Android phone where I paid for them through the Google store although I could have got them free elsewhere - just for the convenience factor, plus it's a source of a small amount of income for the projects concerned.

But this is off-topic for here.