:: Re: [DNG] Unstalled from alpha2 ins…
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Unstalled from alpha2 installer on bare machine
On 15/08/15 12:05, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I installed from alpha2, and it mostly worked.
> Devuan boots up properly, and runs. I'm currently ssh-ed in to another
> machine where I have my email, accessible via mutt.

Thanks for the report. Was it a standard install or expert-mode and was
it Jessie, Ascii or Ceres?

> There were a few glitches:
>
> (1) it still offered to install the system on my installer USB stick.
> I wasn't stupid enough to fall for this ruse, and specified my hard
> drive.

That's odd. I hadn't noticed that... could be a hardware specific issue.

> (2) Going through the steps one by one, I got to setting up MD devices.
> I made the mistake of asking it to do this. I had no MD devices on this
> machine, so I expected it just to moce on to the next step, after
> possibly dong some internal overhead to tell it this had been done.
>
> Instead, the screen went blank and stayed that way for a long time (at
> least ten minutes). For a while the disk light on my laptop blinked,
> then even taht stopped. I eventually used ctl-alt-F2 to get a console,
> but a few commands there (such as ps) left me no wiser. I went back to
> ctl-alt-F1, and after a long hesitation, did control-C.
>
> I recovered control, and once again was aat the set up MD devices
> step. I bypassed it and went on to the next step.

That's really weird behaviour.

> (3) The 'configure the package manager' step worked, but the text on
> that page refers to Debian, not Devuan.

Known issue

> (4) popcon: The text says it sends popularity stats to
> http://popcon.debian.org. Now perhaps devuan does not have a popcon
> server set up yet. In any case, I bypassed this step, lest I
> contaminate Debian's statistics. Was that the righht thing to do?

I like contaminating Debians popcon stats... I occasionally check their
popcon for the devuan-keyring package as a guage for how many Devuan
installs have been done :-)

> (5) The select and install software step told me it would take about an
> hour. I went away and did other things, such as laundry. When I came
> back to the laptop I was faces with the message that this step had
> failed, and that I could either skip this step or retry it.
>
> I retried it and this time it succeeded.
>
> What might th eprooble have been? Network congestion? Weird package
> dependencies? I have no idea.

Most likely a dependency loop that was solved in the second pass.

> (6) When it came time to install grup, it told me that my machine does
> an EFI boot. That was a surprise to me. It is an ancient XP laptop,
> and I just replaced its hard disk with a new, empty one before the
> install (this no WIndows). I did let it install an EFI bootloader on a
> USB stick (my installlation USB stick, as it happened) and it did
> something.

It should only do that if the machine booted the installer from EFI in
the first place.

> But the machine booted properly without using the stick.

OK. That's good.

> The machine is an Asus EEEPC 1000He, the first of the EEEPC's that did
> not need any proprietary Linux drivers, and the first that came with
> Windows installed instead of Linux.

Nice. How does it perform.

> I installed from the devuan-jessie-netboot-i386-alpha2.iso
>
> -- hendrik

Thanks for the report Hendrik

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.