Til: Simon Hobson
CC: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Systemd Shims
On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 01:59:32PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> As an example, I tried to upgrade one of my Wheezy systems to Jessie with *systemd* pinned as not installable. It took a bit of messing around figuring out what the broken dependencies were, and in the end I only had ONE single package that I needed and which wouldn't install - clamav-daemon (the other clamav* packages were fine, just not that individual one). In response to my messages on the clamav mailing list and bug report, it turns out that they only make ONE call to libsystemd during startup and then never use it again, and it's not even an essential call - but no, it would be a "waste of CPU cycles" to do a "if exists libsystemd0 then call ..." I assume it's not considered a waste of cycles to maintain a separate package for Wheezy security updates !

Good evening,

It's true, that's a waste, although very small, to add an if structure.
Remains a weak argument: not being clamav a Go project, it has for sure a
badly optimized, on the buiding side, codebase, so a config macro and an
#ifdef SYSTEMD_EXISTS around the call surely doesn't waste anything valuable.

--
Teodoro Santoni

Something is wrong. I don't wanna compile 20 KB of Go code to list files.