:: Re: [DNG] Packaging (was Systemd S…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Packaging (was Systemd Shimss, Init scripts in packages, possibly Mission Creep)
On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 07:23:18 -0700
Go Linux <golinux@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 8/9/15, T.J. Duchene <t.j.duchene@???> wrote:
>
> Subject: [DNG] Packaging (was Systemd Shimss, Init scripts in
> packages, possibly Mission Creep) To: dng@???
> Date: Sunday, August 9, 2015, 8:42 PM
> >
> > All that Devuan really needs to provide is a Debian base system
> > without systemd. Everything else is secondary to that. At least,
> > it should be. Everything else can be achieved by adding layers on,
> > but that "Devuan base" is still needed. Worrying about Gnome,
> > XFCE, or even X11 is really a secondary goal.
>
> NOOOOO! That may be true for a sys admin but not for a lowly desktop
> user like me (and others). That's why I suggested earlier that
> Devuan provide a base system for servers and a base system for
> desktop users. That way no need to aggravate sys admins with a full
> blown desktop and 'normal' users will be happy too. Everybody wins
> that way.
>
> golinux

Hi golinux,

I base this reply on the assumption that the idea of a base
system is relevant only to the initial install, and that Debian would
certainly continue to have packages for xorg, Xfce, LXDE, Openbox,
*box, Windowmaker, IceWM, and of course, for those who like to boot
straight to GUI, lightdm.

If my assumption is correct, the only way making the base install tiny
affects you is that you do the following instead of one big install:

* base install
* apt-get install xorg
* apt-get install xterm (if not installed by xorg)
* apt-get install Xfce (or whatever)
* apt-get install lightdm

There's a huge benefit, for you as a desktop guy, for doing it this
way. The faster you can get a booting system up and running, the less
time you spend if your installation turns out to be a dud. The more
stuff the installer does, the more likely it is that your install is a
dud. I'm a desktop guy (except I don't use a display manager), and I've
always done it this way when given the chance.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21