:: Re: [DNG] non-systemd Linux for new…
Author: Apollia
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] non-systemd Linux for newbies with good migration tool?
On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 11:35 PM, T.J. Duchene <t.j.duchene@???> wrote:

> On 08/09/2015 08:14 PM, Isaac Dunham wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm looking for a Linux distro that I could recommend to friends who are
>> rather frustrated with Windows 10.
>> The friends in question ask me about how to fix problems with their
>> computers from time to time.
>>
> With the greatest respect, Isaac, by my experience, I think you are
> wasting your time.
>
> Every single time I have offered to replace Windows with Linux about 95%
> of them return to Windows within one month. It is what they want. They
> want what they already know. They want to use their existing software, and
> everything commercial to "just work". This not to say that Linux has a
> problem, it is simply acknowledging reality. They don't want change. The
> only ones who can handle the change are the fully committed: "power users"
> and IT professionals. In over 20 years in this business, I can tell you one
> thing for certain: the IT marketplace is deliberately designed to prevent
> "replacement."

Back in 2012 when I was even more of a Linux newbie than I am now, running
Windows XP inside VirtualBox made it tremendously easier for me to
transition to primarily using Linux.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

To this day, I actually still use a Windows XP VirtualBox quite frequently,
because I still haven't found or built replacements for some Windows
software I still use.

All the Windows XP software I frequently use runs pretty well in
VirtualBox, though a bit slower than real Windows.

I seldom go back to non-virtual Windows XP except to play games on rare
occasions, or to listen to music with the fancy reverb my sound card can do
in Windows.

Anything with fancy 3D graphics tends to work poorly for me in VirtualBox.
I didn't try too many things like that, but I had little luck with the
astronomy software Celestia, and the games Second Life and Dungeon Siege.
Even The Sims didn't work well at all. (I think the audio played but the
graphics didn't display right.)

However, I was surprised and thrilled in 2012 to find out that I could
watch Netflix quite smoothly using VirtualBox, even on a somewhat
underpowered computer, 2.1 GHz dual core with only 1 GB of RAM, in Lucid
Puppy Linux 5.2.

But, I no longer use VirtualBox for Netflix because it's much nicer to
watch Netflix (or even YouTube) on a TV using a Roku.

In my experience, VirtualBox runs Windows stuff much better than Wine
does. https://www.winehq.org/ I'm also reluctant to use Wine because I
worry that maybe it might make my Linux system vulnerable to Windows
viruses.

I love how VirtualBox keeps my Windows stuff (or anything else I don't
fully trust, such as Java) isolated from my Linux system.

I use VirtualBox's shared folders feature and symlinks to selectively give
my VirtualBoxes access to things outside of VirtualBox. And oftentimes I
don't even give my VirtualBoxes internet access.

I hope I would have still managed to transition to primarily Linux if I
hadn't had VirtualBox - but, it would've been a lot more difficult,
uncomfortable, and inconvenient.

I probably would have ended up frequently running two different computers
at the same time (one with Windows XP, one with Linux) if I hadn't had
VirtualBox.

So, I highly recommend VirtualBox for helping Windows users transition to
Linux!

Best wishes,
Apollia