:: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Init scripts in packages
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@???> writes:

> Alexey Rochev wrote
>> *Date: *2015-08-05 07:29 -400
>> *To: *dng
>> *Subject: *[DNG] Init scripts in packages
>> Currently Debian packages contains both systemd units and init scripts.
>> However, Debian developers refused to support several init
>> systems. So it's
>> only a matter of time when they remove init scripts from packages.
>> What will Devuan developers do when it happens? We can use sysvinit and
>> Devuan because these init scripts exist.
>
> It occurs to me that nobody raised the obvious questions:
>
> 1. Are we seeing upstream developers shipping systemd scripts, or
> systemd scripts w/o sysv init scripts? I'm not sure I have.
> 2. What the heck are Debian developers (packagers, actually), doing
> removing init scripts?

There's an answer to that and it's "it doesn't matter" (I tried to point
that out in an earlier reply). On the wheezy system I'm using to write
this, 'init scripts' make up 6789 LOC, nobody has the power to make them
disintegrate and I'd be very much surprised if there are more than 2000 LOC
in there which actually do something useful. Actually, I expect
yes. init scripts should be trivial and if they're not, something else
is amiss.