:: Re: [DNG] automount Was: Re: A bet…
Página Inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] automount Was: Re: A better default windows manager
On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:38:08 +0200
Svante Signell <svante.signell@???> wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-07-28 at 00:09 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 10:10:29 +0200
> > Svante Signell <svante.signell@???> wrote:

> > > Too sad to see this on GNU/Linux :(
> >
> > Cheer up Svante. This isn't for your corporation's web servers, it's
> > for the guy with a desktop, the system's only user, a guy who
> > already has root but just doesn't want to do su all the time, who
> > just wants automounting to happen.
>
> To clarify: The annoying issue with windows is that e.g. if you put in
> a CD in the reader, some application starts automatically depending on
> the CD contents. This behaviour as default is also annoying on
> GNU/Linux.

I would never, ever, EVER enable automatic application start upon
media/device insertion. My mama didn't raise no fool. I was only
talking about mounting the thing to /mnt/whatever. That's all.

> > There are a million different use cases, and on some of them
> > automounting makes sense. Other times, running a command as a normal
> > user makes more sense. Other times, only someone with root should be
> > mounting.
>
> Even if automounting sometimes makes sense, it should be easy
> configurable! I have not found that on Windows OS versions, maybe I
> did not dig enough. However, on Devuan GNU/Linux that would be adding
> value to user experience.

The thing I envision is configurable in that if you don't want it you
don't install it :-). I spoze it wouldn't be too difficult to enable
the user to define which /dev devices get automounted.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21