:: Re: [DNG] GTK (was Will there be a…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Isaac Dunham
Aan: T.J. Duchene
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] GTK (was Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?)
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 09:30:04PM -0500, T.J. Duchene wrote:
> On Thursday, July 23, 2015 08:22:55 PM Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 12:12:01AM +0200, Teodoro Santoni wrote:
> > > ... but, yeah, it's outside the scope of Devuan. D-Bus just sucks and is
> > > documented on a random basis, when you compare it to the rest of
> > > GNU/Fedora
> > > it's... like GTK: it sucks, there are alternatives but it's a PITA to port
> > > away 'cause a lot of big codebases uses them as foundation.
> >
> > So there are alternatives to GTK: Do any suck less? What are they?
> >
> What's wrong with GTK? I don't care for it, but it is not any worse than
> Microsoft's UI.
>
> There are lots of alternatives. wxWidgets and Qt are the most common
> suggestions, but there are far more esoteric ones. If you are aiming for
> widest portability support, Qt is probably your best bet.
> I don't care for it myself - because it is C++. I do not believe in OOP as a
> decent paradigm for software development. I'm know I am in the minority, but
> I am not alone. Even Google has reined in use of some of the worst features
> of OOP. Programmers working for Google are not allowed to use exceptions.

I'm inclined to agree with you on C++, but I'd like to refer you to Roger
Leigh's comments on the subject about seven and a half months ago;
I'm only appending the first couple screenfuls (which is maybe a third
of the original) but you should be able to find the original email given
the headers and this text.

Appending message: