:: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:44:32 -0700
James Powell <james4591@???> wrote:

> So exactly what do we use in place of D-Bus as a replacement
> Userspace IPC handler and protocol that is Generic to POSIX systems
> and UNIX?

Nothing. I've never felt the functionality to be especially valuable. I
guess I won't get informed when Clementine changes songs. Oh well.

> If we rip out D-Bus what do we use in it's place that is drop in
> compatible? You're talking about tearing apart a LOT of packages just
> to satisfy a grievance.

I don't know about others, but *I* was talking about something a user
does, not something Devuan does.

> This is outside the scope and mission statement of Devuan,

See my response above.

> and I'm
> sorry if you dislike D-Bus so much, but it is accepted and POSIX
> compliant software.

See my response above.

> It's not perfect, but are any protocols that
> allow interapplication and interprocess communication across a system
> and network going to be not be complex to work?

I could probably make one, but that's besides the point.

> Again, a witch hunt on software is not necessary, needed, or
> appropriate for Devuan.

I can't speak for others, but all I did was give instructions on how a
user could run sans-dbus if s/he, doesn't like I, don't like dbus.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21