Til: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] sans-dbus: was Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 12:12:36PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 08:39:05 +0200
> Michael Bütow <mbutow@???> wrote:
>

> > I am sure if someone wants to expend the energy to get rid of D-Bus
> > related software in Devuan, they can set up their own spin of it.
>
> For those of you who don't want dbus, my experience tells me that
> getting rid of it would involve something like the following:
>
> * Use something like fvwm, Openbox or LXDE that makes minimal or no use
> of dbus.
>
> * Don't use NetworkManager. I don't remember whether Wicd uses dbus or
> not. If Wicd uses dbus, just do a combination of iwlist scanning and
> wpa_supplicant to "dial in" Wifi.

wpa_cli will also work; if anyone's interested, I've written a shellscript
based on dialog that simplifies configuring wpa_supplicant.

Said shell script is actually part of my local wireless configuration
setup; the other half consists of an init script to start wpa_supplicant
and a script to call busybox udhcpc when the connection is completed.

If you're wondering how wpa_cli connects to wpa_supplicant, it's by
means of a unix socket at /var/run/wpa_supplicant/$IFACE; no DBUS
involved.

> Put a command into your init system that kills the dbus started in your
> initramfs. I personally wouldn't recommend tampering with your
> initramfs itself.

Ah, that's where the fun *starts*! It's all boring till you get there.

Just purge the dbus package; it can be done, and it won't break anything
that wouldn't be broken by stopping dbus.
Then pin it (at -100, maybe?).

> In your init system, get rid of commands that start or modify a running
> dbus.

Apt does that for you if you purge dbus.

> Get rid of Pulseaudio (obviously, and not just to get away from dbus),
> get rid of ALSA to get away from dbus, and use OSS with snd_mixer_oss
> and rexima.

ALSA does not use dbus.
It uses a library that handles writing to the soundcard.
I've used a Debian system that has ALSA and not DBUS, as well as running
strace.

> You might have to tell several of your GUI programs not to do
> notifications, because they notify to dbus without the option to notify
> other ways.
>
> It's probably not going to be that difficult for the average Devuan
> user to get rid of dbus if s/he wants to.

Or just add the MirDebian repos that Miroslav referred to (you may want
both yplentyn and wtf).
There are no dependencies that are missing on Devuan, since everything
that we're trying to remove is a subset of what mirabilos set out to
remove.

HTH,
Isaac