:: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan…
Author: miro.rovis
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:06:29AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I do not understand this entire thread.
>
> I have not a clue what a MirDevuan "WTF" would be.
> What does the Mir" prefix contribute the the meaning?
> What does "WTF" mean in thei context. I mean what the fuck?
>

> -- hendrik

(corrected typoes in your input, if that's not what you meant, cry foul!)

Hi, hendrik!

Yes, WTF probably means that (but they may have another excuse-name
along).

They were really outraged at the Debian Developers in charge for not
allowing the name, wait, I got to search for it... (I'll search from the
first message in this thread, the one with a host of links, by me)...
Yes I think it's in the first.

At first, one of the DD, Wookey, made:

systemd-must-die

find it in the:

How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=116770&start=15#p550700
(second page)

I can remember and tell about it because I wrote to them:

(same topic)
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=116770&start=30#p552484
(third page)

but it was almost certainly censored out but the then provider of mine,

You can find the link in that same "stealth install" topic to:

Postfix smtp-tls-wrapper, Bkp/Cloning Mthd, a Zerk Provider
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-999436.html

which if you open, you easily find:

status=bounced (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 550-"JunkMail rejected -
147-226.dsl.iskon.hr (n4m3.localdomain) 550-[89.164.147.226]:41972 is in
an RBL, see 550

and you can, if you have time and are interested in fighting censorship,
study around there, as well as (not confirmed, only suspected):

https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20150722.180226.3ff750a1.en.html
where find:

550 Unrouteable address (when I send email to Thorsten)

and imagine what happened. Did mirabilos quit Debian? I don't know, but
being that he provides packages for Debian, I don't think it's likely.

So if you are interested about why they call it that, that's probably
it. For more, one can read that resumé topic of mine, which although 12
forum pages, is much, much shorter than the very ample discussion on DD
List.

I wrote those forum pages of resumé for DD List discussions, after I
read pretty much all of the then recent DD mail archive,

So... The systemd-must-die was not allowed in the repository because of
the name. Everything is being killed all the time in Unix, jobs and
processes, but systemd was not allowed to die, by some moralist DD.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the details of the prevent-systemd
packages now. I would be if I were to install it, but I'm waiting for
Devuan to get dbus-free, or allow dbus freedom in some way... Maybe
mirabilos mada a package of his own, probably so, yeah, and didn't build
on wookey's package...

So I haven't (so far) made contact with Thorsten mirabilos Glaser, the
founder of MirBSD, but should Devuan eventually fail to provide a
no-dbus and no-poetterware desktop, I might have to, forced to search
for options, also be learning more about it... Who knows. I won't be
running a dbus- or a poetterware- nothing.

But I hope you at Devuan will be working to get a distro that can be
installed hardened, no-dbus, no-any-poetterware and associates, and
maybe one of the ways might be forking the MirDebian WTF to MirDevuan
WTF for Devuan needs...

But I am really not a dev, and I really have spoken enough I believe.
Unless someone has questions, or either T.J Duchene or James Powell
decide to reply to my questions to them, or launch some counter
questions, I'll be looking for my exit from contributing to this
developers' list, and follow you silently.

The links to MirBSD are, in the 1st page above mentioned, only, use the
domain only:

MirBSD
https://www.mirbsd.org/

and it is called after his nickname, mirabilos, I believe.

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia