:: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan…
Author: KatolaZ
To: Didier Kryn
CC: dng@lists.dyne.org
Subject: Re: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 01:58:28PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 23/07/2015 10:36, T.J. Duchene a écrit :
> >>      Like you I would like to get rid of Dbus. This was invented to replace the
> >>own equivalents of Gnome and KDE, and I need neither Gnome nor KDE. But
> >>Dbus seems to have infected every other DE. At least Xfce4.

> >>      Didier

> >I do not understand this animosity toward D-BUS. Could you please explain why it is such a point of contention? It is a only a protocol, with many different implementations. It is comfortably very generic and usedon other UNIXs.
> >

>     Not a strong animosity. I think the question of designing a
> middleware should be addressed with more carefull thinking if to
> become a standard. In particular with simplicity in mind.

>     For the use Xfce4 makes of it, which is the means to stop the
> session (AFAIU), I consider it overcomplicated.

I mostly agree with you Didier about the necessity to have clear in
mind objectives before even starting writing the first line of code of
a "middleware", but if a man gets stabbed and dies, can we complain
with the knife-maker for making knives available on the market?

If really xfce needs dbus only to stop a session, the problem is to be
attributed to xfce developers, who are overcomplicating something that
was simple by adding an unnecessary dependency.

And we come back to what I think is the original problem: there is
nowadays a rising majority of developers, in all fields, who simply
ignore the basics of UNIX and KISS-thinking, and keep throwing on
board all kinds of shit just because "it makes things more simple" in
their eyes...

EndOfTheRant

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]