:: Re: [DNG] Ashley Madison hack
Author: James Powell
To: Nuno Magalhães, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ashley Madison hack
The problem with some of these known attacks are the effectiveness of each.

Example:

Last night I was thinking about how it could have happened, but actually during a system evaluation I did in my head, I actually hit a large wall.

Shadow can use cryptographic algorithms of at least 512-bit keys, and if combined with cracklib and Linux-PAM, presents a formidable defense if PAM is set to warn/deny and cracklib enforces a strong password with at least 14 alphanumerical characters and symbols.

Even with orphcrack and a Rainbow Table, you're still going to be waiting a long time to which an Intrusion Detection System is going to alert someone.

As far as internet protocols, again a wall.

Library and Database injections are effective, but only against a weakened system and poor design and controls. Again, PAM and a SQL server would be problematic.

By that, we know at least one server was running Red Hat. Red Hat, by default, if I'm not mistaken, uses SELinux, PAM, and enforces Shadow with high encryption keys and Cracklib. This would make OpenSSH a problem due to it can be controlled with PAM.

You'd have to really spoof PAM and fool the IDS to some extent, and you have Firewalls to get past.

To do this without getting caught, you would need to have a clear path into the system via a Backdoor, and it would have had to exist, and be known, but so far this, from my own conclusion is circumstantial at best.

Even from my own thinking, this was a feet nothing short of interesting, and honestly, from an analytical point of view, I'd love to know how they did it.