:: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan "WT…
Author: miro.rovis
To: dng
CC: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: [DNG] Will there be a MirDevuan "WTF"?
Hi, Devuaners!

I wrote to this list before, a couple of times. As
miro.rovis@??? and miroslav.rovis1@???.

I'll start from here:

How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=116770&start=45#p552566
(
the encrypted channel not set up by user in every box with dbus; and give me
someone the reason that I ask there: "a completely truthful explanation[...],
publically, on why is this needed"
)

which is, in that long, and well read, counter-systemd article of mine in the
form of a forum topic, a section about dbus.

I don't want dbus, and lots of other things, in my system.

Lots of things like someone much cleverer than me, in terms of computing, a
Debian developer, and the leader of MirBSD, advocates (and to whom a Cc:
goes), like he advocates against, in most practical terms, on the:

MirDebian "WTF" Repository
https://www.mirbsd.org/~tg/Debs/debidx.htm

I count dbus in poetterware-related, as it is a ware for the non-FOSS to dig
its tentacles deep into your systems, such as in the hooks prepared for them
by, among others, Linus himself.

[my title to it:] rootkit hooks in the kernel
http://www.crmbuyer.com/story/39565.html

and also see this non-exhaustive, practical list of widely used spy-tools, a
list practically compiled by true security experts, published so users can
learn to defend themselves):

Grsecurity/Appendix/Capability Names and Descriptions
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Grsecurity/Appendix/Capability_Names_and_Descriptions

Having a system without systemd like Devuan already is, is great, but is not a
complete solution for developing a free unsurveilled system if you keep dbus
in it. Not in my book! And not in many others' book.

My insisting on no-dbus has been looked favorably by wizards in Gentoo:

Uninstalling dbus adn *kits (to Unfacilitate Remote Seats)
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-992146.html

. I have, as far as a user lacking in really advanced expertize can do, an
almost perfectly sustainable system that is not easily intruded in, that does
not get owned any more, and pranks on my Gentoo system are pretty much reduced
to the outside only. And the same is attainable for any Gentoo user, because
Gentoo wizards care to make Gentoo packages available for dbus-free systems
like mine. As far as my user understanding goes, it's devs who are making it
happen.

Back to MirDebianWTF repo. I was, applying mirabilos' work on my sysvinit- and
non-systemd Debian, [I was] able to get a poetterware-free Debian back then:

Remove Systemd and Related Packages from Your Debian
(see the dates there)

Now...

If I was able to understand correctly, vdev works with dbus. Jude C. Nelson,
why are you basing it on such a corporate-intrusion-enabling software (or
harvesting/other-nefarious-purposes enabling software)? I remember having
read from you back quite a few months ago various articles when I was outraged
at systemd imposition and was researching about it. I wouldn't have expected
you to not realize that dbus was a false-foss program... false for the true
sense of the nature of FOSS. But, maybe there's nothing to do now, I don't
know. I know I won't be using anything that requires dbus...

There was some talk of eudev on devuan mailing list, and people began to
implement it. Where is that now?

A digression. I follow mostly only Devuan mailing list, as best I can. I'm not
privy to all that is happening in Devuan... Shouldn't there anyway be a
central place from where to know without searching what and in which section
has been done and at what stage this or that is... Like a page to start when
you want to know the status and the news, a page always sensibly up to date...

[A digression. I follow mostly only Devuan mailing list, as best I can], and
if I missed something, be kind to correct me.

So eudev not planned?

Just to point you at something that sparks my enthusiasm, as a keen supporter.
and fills me with some angst at the same time. What it those f**ing tool(s)
(as Christopher Barry,
http://lkml.org/lkml/2014/8/12/459
, who I see also follows, if not contributes, to Devuan, as he called
Poettering)... [What if those tools] achieve, for their masters, their
nefarious purposes sooner then true FOSS devs can raise defences against such
threats?

plans when udev becomes systemd-only ? (after kdbus merge)
https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/issues/95#issuecomment-122873308

And eudev works dbus-free just fine (such as in my Gentoo), dear people!

So, maybe to cut the talking shorter:

Is no-poetterware, no-dbus Devuan soon to be an attainable option for a user
like me, of medium advanced level (my maximum attainable level probably a good
tester)?

And then in no-dbus no-poetterware Devuan I apply grsec, and teach newbies to
install grsec-hardened kernels in their Devuans, like I did in Debian Forums:

Grsecurity/Pax installation on Debian GNU/Linux

And to you, mirabilos, a question. What does this Devuan now beta (IIUC) look
like to you? Can your MirDebianWTF fork into MirDevuanWTF and apply?

That is my dream!

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis