:: Re: [DNG] startup scripts (was dng@…
Góra strony
Autor: Didier Kryn
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] startup scripts (was dng@lists.dyne.org)
Le 18/07/2015 12:43, KatolaZ a écrit :
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 09:52:18AM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
>>       Further more, a method could be agreed on to tell the script if
>> the daemon is going to be supervised or not, and we would then need
>> only one script for all cases.

>>      For example, providing "supervised-start" and
>> "supervised-reload" in addition to the other cases could do the job.
>> For safety, the scripts could check a file which tells them which
>> supervisor is calling them.

>>      What do you think?
>>                                          Didier

> How do you support init scripts for several init systems for all the
> daemons that could be installed in a distro like Devuan? Who should do
> this work? Who should keep things updated and synchronised to allow
> the whole process to be neat and clean? Guys, if one apt-get installs
> --force-yes the default editor, and things go wrong, it's not a big
> issue. If we do the same on init, it's back to dice
> rolling... (cit. moria).
>
> My2Cents
>
> KatolaZ

     Dear KatolaZ,

     I probably didn't express things properly. My idea was precisely a
way to workaround the issue you say. The idea was to modify the existing
sysv-init scripts so that, while remaining 100% compatible with
sysv-init, they become also usable by supervisors. If it proved possible
and a standard method was agreed on, then I am convinced the authors of
these daemons would do it upstream.

     Alas, supervision experts don't think it is possible :-(

     Didier