:: Re: [DNG] Mate
Author: T.J. Duchene
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Mate
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:17:15 -0500
Stanley Webb <swebb@???> wrote:

> Will it be possible to install *.deb's in Devuan? I ask because I
> like the Mate desktop, and they offer deb installs at their site
> mate-desktop.org. also libreoffice offers deb at their site
> www.libreoffice.org.

Hi Stanley! =)

Yes, to answer your question, it is possible. I've done so on Debian,
which is the same as Devuan presently.

However, as a general rule, I would not recommend doing so unless you
know how to uninstall it cleanly.

The Debian packaging system is designed to be fault tolerant, and
accept outside packages - but only to a certain point. Unless you are
familiar with how you make corrections manually and understand the
security risks, I would not install debs from outside of the
official repositories.

I'm sorry if that sounds so negative. There are better solutions and if
you need to explore one, please email me directly.

Have a great day! =)

T.J.