:: Re: [DNG] devuan LTS
Author: KatolaZ
To: James Powell
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] devuan LTS
On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 02:41:58AM -0700, James Powell wrote:
> The core of any distribution is very akin to what you could draw from an LFS book, with some reasonable extras like those with Gentoo/Funtoo to create not just a basic core system, but a working base model. Yes, it could be very easy to maintain, and keep tools stable for long periods.
>
> However, when you think about creating possibly universal build scripts that can work with FreeBSD, Illumos, and GNU/Linux equally, you can support various systems easily, in theory.
>
> Devuan not only could build a great GNU/Linux base, but create a UNIXwide framework as well. Now, I don't know how well it would work, truly, but instead of creating rifts between UNIX and UNIXlike systems, like systemd wants to do, create a unified UNIX cross platform framework to bring BSD, Linux, Illumos, and others back together, and do things right.

The only feasible way I can see to make anything similar to what you
seem to have in mind is by using BSD-like ports for non-core
components. It is impossible for the "ancillary" stuff (whatever it
means) to remain in sync with the "core" distribution (whatever it
means) if their development follows two different time scales. The
hard part of putting together a distribution is not just making the
default installation work, but having everything around it working
fine, with a consistent set of components, libraries and
dependencies. If all the pieces are not synchronised, you will break
apart your toy pretty soon.

My2Cents

KatolaZ

--
[ Enzo Nicosia aka KatolaZ --- GLUG Catania -- Freaknet Medialab ]
[ me [at] katolaz.homeunix.net -- http://katolaz.homeunix.net -- ]