:: Re: [DNG] installer options and sys…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] installer options and systemd survey from a non-power users perspective
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 07:33:46 -0300
John Jensen <bsduser65@???> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I find vi, vim, nano confusing, but I do have a small handbook on
> vi(vim) that I can use to muddle through until I can add geany as a
> text editor. I would say keep the base install light.

John just summarized the whole situation in two sentences, and IMHO
made the most telling argument for keeping things just the way they are
now.

Anybody, and I mean *anybody*, can use Nano. For me, Nano is horribly
unproductive. I hate it. But if I can look at the bottom of the screen,
I can use it enough to change or add a few config file. As John says,
one of the first tasks of the machine's proprieter is to install an
editor that he or she is productive in, but everybody can muddle
through Nano until they install what they really want.

Today Daniel Reurich called this thread "Bikeshedding". At this point I
tend to agree with him. Let's just keep the default editor and SMTP
server the same, and move on to the important tasks standing between us
and release.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21